starting with japan...

Saturday, June 17, 2006

when you misplace family, or if you are going to lose something, lose it in Japan (circa 4/25)

Sometimes when traveling, the important lessons are learned early and the remainder of the trip benefits. Such was the case when the family came to visit me in Japan last week (actually two months ago), all six of them (mom, dad, brother, sister, aunt, grandma). Not two hours after I had greeted them at the international arrivals, did our hard-headed, know-it-all natures show themselves and we scattered in different directions with intentions of catching a bus south to a train station and then on to gobo. Unfortunately due to failures in communication however, we all had different ideas about when the bus left, who was following whom and who was buying the tickets. This type of situation is not out of the ordinary, but it was a first in Japan.

We all managed to re-group except for my dad and my grandma. One bus came and left and then another as we scored the receiving level of Kansai airport, searching for them, mumbling annoyances at their failure to stick with the group (typical Roberts behavior)all the while. But soon a third bus came and left. Reluctantly and still in a humorous mood about the situation, we turned to the loud intercom and couldn't stop from laughing as Molly Momii and John Roberts were paged throughout Kansai. But there was no response, and again we waited.

Had we been in many other countries other than Japan, I might have panicked at this point. However my experience of finding a cell phone on the slopes in Nagano, having cheap ballpoint pens and disposable water bottles returned, being given hand-held direction when lost many times and knowing people that have left goods unattended for days to find them untouched, I have come to think of Japan as a country where most things lost, go returned (exceptions to the rule are unavoidable, I have known people to have their underwear taken from the beach...).

Another half hour passed. With no sign of members six and seven of the group and paging from two different information booths continuing to turn up nothing, our level of worry and puzzlement increased. It was just weird. Getting more frustrated with each other and anxious over the situation we made our way up to the third floor and talked to the police. We handed them pictures (taken hours before) passport copies and detailed description. They seemed a little perplexed and concerned at the thought of a 61 year-old and an 81 year-old lost in the airport. They shut down their police booth, we teamed up and dispersed, intensifying the search. "We are going to find your family" they said.

Train stations were called as were bus companies. I asked a friend to scan the Gobo train station just in case they had somehow found their way there. Our family turned search party decided to split up, my mother, brother and I heading down to Gobo to secure a base there and my aunt and sister sticking with the professionals at the airport. We had just reached Wakayama city when I called my sister, who finally had some news. Turns out that my grandma, the 81 year-old whom my aunt was worried about being disoriented and confused, had managed to lead her and my father all the way to Gobo and to their small hotel. Amazing I tell you. I can only hope to be like her when I am 81. My friend Emi had tracked them down and they were currently chatting. Hence, we headed down to Gobo, and we were all, for the second time that day, reunited.


I would like to thank the country of Japan for being so safe and the Japanese people for knowing how to track something down.

2 Comments:

At June 28, 2006 4:58 PM, Blogger Erin said...

Haha, I'm just reading this now. That's awesome.

 
At March 30, 2013 12:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Piles are situated in the body's anal cavity. These vascular constructions have a vital role in helping the anal sphincter handle stool process. Hemorrhoids can be infected and enlarged on account of a lot of reasons, which can cause great pain. The information in the following paragraphs can help you cope with hemorrhoid difficulties. [url=http://www.ss12w12ws.info]Obse8ighve[/url]

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free counter