starting with japan...

Saturday, September 23, 2006

California I'm Coming Home

Well, it has finally come time for this fourteen month adventure to come to a close. Tomorrow I head home to Berkeley. And I am excited. The last two months, unemployed, living out of a backpack have been incredible and as intended served as a needed buffer between ending my time here as a JET and going back home to do whatever is next. I no longer feel restless as I did in July, the traveling and the farm having calmed me down and prepared me to get on that plane, though as I said when I came to Japan last year, it has not all yet hit me. Perhaps with me, the delayed reaction is always the case when I transition. For now I will just move through the motions and wait for it to all sink in; this last year, the change in culture, mannerisms, noise level, language...I will just let it drip down slowly.

So, I shipped off my last box yesterday and am hoping that my two huge suitcases do not weigh too much (or we are in for a repeat clothing shuffle, as was the case in JFK last July). Today, I wandered through the Wakayama castle and tied up loose ends, went to an izakaya with a good friend and had some beers, low key. I went to my last onsen down in Shingu, a healing pool of only natural spring waters that was a resting place for pilgrims along the Kumano Kodo trail. My last Karaoke trip, was a crazy four-hour marathon with Christina, the latter half of which I do not remember, but to say the least, she is now a convert. Last week I trained it to Kyoto for some touring and shopping and finally saw Ryoanji Temple (I had tried on every previous visit) and the quintessential zen rock garden. On Thursday, I said a tearful goodbye to my grandmother's second cousin in Kishigawa, I hadn't realized that he had realized who I was. That was a bit difficult and made me remember the ties I/We have here and that I will be back.

But for now, this visit, this section is ending. So, goodbye to the narrow streets and driving on the left side. Goodbye to the squatter toilets and flushing sounds to hide the pee sounds. Farewell to beer vending machines, convenient combini's, tako yaki stalls and Onigiri. See you later rice paddies and burning Momi, screeching Cicadas and clear rivers. Goodbye Onsen and free tissues. I will miss you, prompt trains and buses, politeness (though at times fake), good food and safety. Goodbye Japan, it's been a good trip. Until we meet again, mata ne.

4 Comments:

At September 24, 2006 5:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an incredible journey. Having followed your blog almost from the start, I can honestly say this now: thanks for sharing such an awesome adventure.

 
At September 24, 2006 7:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey it was great to see you the other night!! Sorry I ran away, I'm not very good at goodbyes so lets just say "until the next time" eh!!
take care, will miss you
Sarah x x x

 
At September 29, 2006 3:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome home
Love, mamasan.

 
At January 12, 2007 5:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please send a mail to me!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free counter